Come find out how Kim from The Painted Poppy Studio transformed this dresser with Simplicity for her niece’s bedroom!

A Dresser for Audrey #DIY #dresser #bedroom #paintedfurniture #furniturepaint #countrychicpaint #homedecor - blog.countrychicpaint.com

Hi everyone! Kim from the Painted Poppy Studio here and I’m back today with a sweet dresser makeover that was a custom order for my sister in law. My niece who is 2 1/2, is close to graduating to a big girl bed and the change table that holds all of her clothing is disappearing along with her crib.

She was looking for a dresser in all white with zero distressing so that she could mix and match pieces of furniture but still keep with the clean lines and versatility that all white furniture offers.

A Dresser for Audrey #DIY #dresser #bedroom #paintedfurniture #furniturepaint #countrychicpaint #homedecor - blog.countrychicpaint.com

I picked up this dresser locally and it was in relatively good condition. You can see from the photo that at some point the original handles were replaced with wooden knob handles and wooden plugs to fill the holes that were leftover. The pre-drilled holes were not standard sizes so I knew that I would be filling them in. I thought about putting on some beautiful glass knobs but the holes for the knobs were slightly off center. Rather that filling 3 holes per side and then drilling out a new one for a center knob, I went with a slightly large cup pull so that it covered any shadowing that might be cast on where the extra holes were originally after I filled and sanded them.

A Dresser for Audrey #DIY #dresser #bedroom #paintedfurniture #furniturepaint #countrychicpaint #homedecor - blog.countrychicpaint.com

After I sanded and washed down the dresser, it was time to break out the Simplicity paint (chalk style). After the first coat of paint I discovered that this dresser was going to be a bleeder. Stains with red pigmentation can bleed through paint sometimes and most furniture painters come across a piece like this at some point but I thought that I was safe with the stain that was on this dresser. Apparently not. So, to prevent this you can use a stain blocker paint like Killz or a spray shellac. I choose a spray shellac because I had it on hand, it’s ideal for spot treatments, and it dries quickly.

It took 7 coats of paint and 4 coats of shellac spot treatments to stop all of the bleed through. I have to admit that this was the first time that I have ever come across such a problem like this, and it ended up being a project that I started to lose interest in. With each coat, the stubborn staining just kept popping up like a bad rash, but I persevered because I wanted that meticulous, pristine white finish …and it was a custom order 😉

A Dresser for Audrey #DIY #dresser #bedroom #paintedfurniture #furniturepaint #countrychicpaint #homedecor - blog.countrychicpaint.com

Just adding the white paint and changing up the knobs made such a difference and brought this tired dresser back to life. It also helped to conceal the fact that the top of the dresser was not original. At some point in it’s life, it had been replaced with a fir top and painted brown to try to match it to the rest of the dresser. I finished off the dresser with a light sanding and a coat of Natural Wax for protection.

A Dresser for Audrey #DIY #dresser #bedroom #paintedfurniture #furniturepaint #countrychicpaint #homedecor - blog.countrychicpaint.com



2016 Blog Squad - blog.countrychicpaint.com

Kim {The Painted Poppy Studio}

Hi there! My name is Kim Teasdale and I’m the owner of an itty bitty home business called The Painted Poppy Studio where I teach various crafting workshops and sell my upcycled creations. I’m a wife, mom, blogger and maker of all things, so please be sure to visit me over at my blog!

Make sure to follow Kim on her blog, The Painted Poppy Studio, as well as on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!